Universal FanCon is the first large-scale, 24-hour, inclusive event that celebrates the diversity of fandom and the diversity of fans. FanCon’s mission is to create a sense of belonging by providing authentic connections and experiences through fan-centric parties, programs, panels and partners. As an important part of this mission, we are building accessibility and education into every aspect of the event with guidance from Accessibility Checklist, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and our knowledgeable team members, affiliates and partners.
If you do not see your need represented, or if you have additional questions on accommodations, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FanCon will have:
- Discounted weekend pass for all attendees with disabilities. Proof of need is not required to obtain these tickets, nor are there minimum requirements for what determines a disability.
- Professional development diversity and sensitivity guide and training for all FanCon staff
- Physical/logistical layout considerations (single flow and double flow lane minimum widths, ramps, etc.).
- Accessibility Passes & Discounted Ticketing.
- Line Policy: laminated number cards for designated areas.
- Sign language interpreters (upon panel request up to 1 month in advance).
- Designated Quiet Room.
- “No flash photo” stickers to place on individual passes, when requested.
- Con, access information, and dedicated staff readily available (Info desk).
- Chairs and benches for resting.
- Designated seating areas for people who need to be near the front for ASL-designated events or other disability-related needs.
- Spaces for wheelchair users in the front and various rows in all rooms.
- Elevator priority (Sample wording: “Did you know? This elevator is necessary for those with disabilities and other needs to get around the convention. If you are able, please consider taking the stairs or escalator nearby. This helps us keep the convention accessible for all!”) This protects those with non-apparent disabilities from being discriminated against, as well as allows parents with strollers to use the elevators, but also encourages attendees to self-police their usage.
- Accessible & gender-neutral bathrooms.
- Caregiver considerations.
- Security & personal safety: Zero tolerance policy for bullying, etc.
- Service animal policy: We do allow service dogs. We do reserve the right to remove any service animal team that is being disruptive.
- Emotional support animals are not allowed within the convention center.
- Medication storage: A daily dose can be stored by security. Must sign waiver onsite.
Parking is not controlled or monitored by Universal Fan Con. Parking spots can be reserved ahead of time via Parking Panda. Specific accessible spots are not available for reservation, but those spots can be taken upon entry to the lot or garage if official documentation is provided (e.g. placards, license plate, other decal, etc.) Attendees are advised to research all lots and garages before booking, as some may not be able to accommodate oversized vehicles. Below is a partial list of lots and garages around the convention center that are advertised as accessible.
- Sheraton Hotel Garage: A secure covered self-parking at the Sheraton Inner Harbor Garage. It is open 24/7 and does allow overnight parking. The maximum vehicle height is 6’3”. It is located 0.0 miles from the convention center.
- Hyatt Regency Baltimore: This is covered self-parking at the hotel. It is open 24 hours but does not allow overnight parking without a hotel reservation. It has charging stations for electric or hybrid vehicles. The lot may charge additional rates if pre-booked hours are exceeded. The maximum vehicle height is 6’7”. It is located 0.0 miles from the convention center.
- 1 E Pratt St: This is a covered garage between the Hyatt Regency Baltimore and Sullivans Steakhouse. It is open 24/7 but does not allow overnight parking. Reservations are highly recommended due to space constraints. The maximum vehicle height is 6’6”. It is located 0.1 miles from the convention center.
- DownsUnder Garage: This is a covered parking area at intersection of S Hanover St and W Lombard St, underneath Hopkins Plaza. It is open 24/7 but does not allow overnight parking. The maximum vehicle height is 6’3”. It is located 0.1 miles from the convention center.
- 30 Light St Garage: This is a covered parking area on E Lombard Street. It is open 6 am to midnight every day, but it does allow overnight parking. It does not allow in/out privileges on the same ticket. However. Advertised as having accessible wheelchair access. The maximum vehicle height is 6’8”. It is located 0.1 miles from the convention.
Hotel room accommodations are not allotted or monitored by Universal Fan Con. Please be sure to call and confirm your booking with your hotel to ensure that it will meet your needs.
Attendees who use wheelchairs or have difficulty moving are given priority when using elevators. Able-bodied attendees should let attendees in wheelchairs or who have trouble moving go ahead of them to use elevators first. Wheelchair rental is not available through the venue onsite.